Researchers found new clues suggesting autism could be detected before birth ; their study gives clear and direct new evidence that autism begins during pregnancy. The researchers analyzed 25 genes in post-mortem brain tissue of children with and without autism. These included genes that serve as biomarkers for brain cell types in different layers of the cortex, genes implicated in autism and several control genes. Patches of unusual cell development was found in 10 samples.
More info and Videos
- Video by UC San Diego Health System, Published on 26 Mar 2014.
- In their small, explorative study – Patches of Disorganization in the Neocortex of Children with Autism – researchers found focal disruption of cortical laminar architecture in the cortexes of a majority of young children with autism.
- Read Patches of Cortical Layers Disrupted During Early Brain Development in Autism, University of California, San Diego, News Release March 26, 2014
- Read Patches of Disorganization in the Neocortex of Children with Autism, N Engl J Med 2014; 370:1209-1219 March 27, 2014DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa1307491
- Watch more videos on our YouTube channel.