The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) says it cannot recommend a life-extending breast cancer drug due to its high price. The drug trastuzumab emtansine (also known as Kadcyla) costs around £90,000 per patient. Pharmaceuticals giant Roche said that “NICE is the first organisation to say no to Kadcyla”.
- Listen to @steve_lefevre talking about the cost of Kadcyla with Dr Seeruthun from @Roche on breakfast, BBC Radio tweet.
- Pressure grows on Roche to lower breast cancer drug price,
NICE news, 08 August 2014.
- NHS says no to new breast cancer drug Kadcyla,
BBC News Health, 08 August 2014.
- Disappointment as breast cancer drug not approved on NHS, Cancer Research UK, News Report, 08 August 2014.
- Trastuzumab Emtansine for HER2-Positive Advanced Breast Cancer, NEJM, 10.1056/NEJMoa1209124, November 14, 2013.
- Watch more pharma videos on our YouTube channel.