Early this year, nine women in Sweden had received uterus transplants in an experimental fertility project. The project even included a first live-donor uterus transplant from mother to child. A baby boy, was born prematurely last month , almost 32 weeks into the pregnancy. Both mum and first womb-transplant baby are now said to be doing well. The successful birth is the result of more than 15 years of research.
Sources and more information:
- Video Published on 3 Oct 2014 by Göteborgs universitet.
- World´s first child born after uterus transplantation,
University of Gothenburg, 3 Mar 2014.
- Medical first: Baby born to woman who got new womb,
AP, 3 Oct 2014.
- First womb-transplant baby born, BBC News Health, 3 Oct 2014.
- Watch more research videos on our YouTube channel.