With the rapid rise in the cost of cancer care, we need to make sure that public policies encourage comparative studies prior to widespread dissemination of new technologies
… “For benign gynecologic conditions, robot-assisted surgery involves statistically significant increase in complications during surgery and is associated with substantially greater costs than conventional laparoscopic surgery, according to a study by researchers at Columbia University Medical Center (CUMC)“…
Sources and more information:
- Comparative Effectiveness of Robotically Assisted Compared With Laparoscopic Adnexal Surgery for Benign Gynecologic Disease, Obstetrics & Gynecology, October 6, 2014.
- Robotic Surgery: More Complications, Higher Expense for Some Conditions, Columbia University Medical Center, October 8, 2014.
- Increase Seen in Use Of Robotically-Assisted Hysterectomy For Benign Gynecologic Disorders, JAMA, February 19, 2013
- Video Published on 19 Feb 2013 by The JAMA(Journal of the American Medical Association)Report.
- Watch more research videos on our YouTube channel.