Assistant professor in BYU’s Counseling Psychology & Special Education department and lead author of a new study in Pediatrics Terisa Gabrielsen discusses the importance of early autism diagnosis for children.
Video published on 11 Jan 2015 by BYU channel.
- Researchers studied pediatric exams where care providers performed autism observations for 15-33-month-old children.
- Even the researchers missed referrals for 39 percent of the children with autism, based on the brief observation alone.
- Parents are the experts for their children. Tools are available for parents to be educated, work with care providers and have an impact.
- Study in Pediatrics: Brief observations miss autism symptoms in young children,
byu news, 15 Jan 2015.
- Identifying Autism in a Brief Observation, pediatrics,
(doi: 10.1542/peds.2014-1428), January 12, 2015. Full text PDF.
- M-CHAT-R/F (Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddlers, Revised with Follow-Up), m-chat.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) Signs and Symptoms, cdc.
- Watch more research videos on our YouTube channel.