Children, including adolescents, are exposed to a variety of hazards from the environments in which they live, learn and play.
More than 1 in 4 child deaths could be prevented by cleaning up the environment. Each year 1.7 million deaths of children under 5 years old are linked to the environment.
Early exposure to environmental risks contributes to childhood cancers.
- Official Twitter account of the World Health Organization, the United Nations’ health agency. WHO PHE infographics.
- 10 facts on children’s environmental health, WHO, March 2017.
- Inheriting a sustainable world: Atlas on children’s health and the environment, WHO pdf (4Mb), March 2017.
- The cost of a polluted environment: 1.7 million child deaths a year, WHO News release, 6 MARCH 2017.
- Preventing disease through healthy environments, MARCH 2016.
- Enjoy our health infographics album on Flickr.