BPA is an Endocrine Disrupting Chemical (EDC). It is able to mimic oestrogen and can bind to the oestrogen receptors in a cell. BPA has been linked to breast cancer, as well as to prostate cancer, heart disease, obesity and diabetes.
Breast Cancer UK submitted evidence to both of EFSA’s consultations expressing concern that studies relating to low dose EDCs exposures had been dismissed. Breast Cancer UK will continue to call for a ban on the use of BPA in food and drinks packaging on the basis that studies show that low dose exposures to BPA have been shown to have an adverse effect on the mammary gland.
… “Diethylstilboestrol (DES) is a synthetic oestrogen that was given to pregnant women in the 1950’s and 1960’s to help prevent miscarriage. Women who took DES were found to have a 40% increased risk of developing breast cancer in later life (Greenberg, A.B.Barnes et al. 1984). The first generation of daughters born to women who were exposed to DES, also had an increased risk of developing breast cancer after reaching 40 years of age (Palmer, Lauren A.Wise et al. 2006). It was found that intrauterine exposure to the DES caused an increase in the number of ductal stem cells, and thereby increased the risk of mutations in the cells of the mammary gland, consequently increasing the risk of developing breast cancer later in life. Ironically, men were not permitted to work in factories that synthesised DES because those that had developed painful swellings in the chest area. It was these links to breast cancer that led directly to DES being withdrawn from use in the USA in 1971 and the UK in 1975.”…
- Read No More BPA and download “Body of Evidence“.
- Enjoy our DES & EDCs research album on Flickr.
- Our posts tagged EDCs. Our YouTube EDCs video playlist.
DES DiEthylStilbestrol Resources
- DES studies on cancers and screening.
- DES studies on epigenetics and transgenerational effects.
- DES studies on fertility and pregnancy.
- DES studies on gender identity and psychological health.
- DES studies on in-utero exposure to DES and side-effects.
- DES studies on the genital tract.
- Papers on DES lawsuits.
- DES videos and posts tagged DES, the DES-exposed, DES victims.