International trial using ipilimumab and nivolumab to treat patients with advanced melanoma stopped cancer advancing in 58% of cases.
Recently presented at the 2015 American Society for Clinical Oncology annual meeting:
- one study revealed that a drug combination of ipilimumab and nivolumab (an immune therapy drug) reduced tumor size in almost 60% of individuals with advanced melanoma – the deadliest form of skin cancer – compared with ipilimumab alone,
- while another study found nivolumab reduced the risk of lung cancer death by more than 40%.
Sources and more information
- Immunotherapy heralds ‘new era’ for cancer treatment, MedicalNewsToday, 4 June 2015.
- Trials show immune drugs effective in advanced melanomas, eurekalert, 1-JUN-2015.
- Immunotherapy drug improves survival for common form of lung cancer, eurekalert, 31-MAY-2015.
- Immunotherapy drugs show continued promise, cancerresearchuk, 1 June 2015.