” Since the 1990s, thousands of women have undertaken a surgical procedure that may have risked their lives.
After Dr. Amy Reed had surgery to remove uterine fibroids, involving a procedure known as power morcellation, she learned that it had worsened her prognosis by spreading a cancer she and her doctors didn’t know she had.
Dr. Reed became a vocal critic of power morcellators and the doctors who used them, dividing the medical community. Now doctors and companies are waiting for more-permanent guidance from the FDA.
This story, drawn from ongoing coverage in The Wall Street Journal, is a gripping human-interest account of public trust and the fallibility of modern medicine. ”
- Download Deadly Medicine, free @WSJ ebook.
- More on morcellation by The Wall Street Journal.
- Our posts tagged Laparoscopic-Power-Morcellation.
Dr. Noorchashm campaign against hysterectomy using electric power morcellation
- Public testimony gets heated at FDA panel meeting on morcellation, OBGYNNews, video, JULY 11, 2014.
- Health Alert: Many Women Have Died Because Deadly Cancers of the Uterus Are Being Spread by Gynecologists. Stop Morcellation of the Uterus in Minimally Invasive Surgery,
Change, SIGN the Petition by Hooman Noorchashm.