To examine prenatal diethylstilbestrol (DES) exposure in relation to male reproductive outcomes.
Prospective observational study.
Participants were identified through record review, clinical trial participation, or an obstetrics clinic.
A total of 1,085 DES-exposed and 1,047 unexposed men.
Participants were exposed prenatally to DES through the mother’s obstetrics care or clinical trial participation.
MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE(S):
Infertility; never fathering a pregnancy or live birth; number of pregnancies or live births fathered.
We found little evidence that prenatal DES exposure affects the likelihood of never fathering a pregnancy or live birth, or influences the mean number of fathered pregnancies or live births. Our data suggest that DES-exposed men are slightly more likely to experience infertility (relative risk [RR] = 1.3, 95% confidence interval [CI] = 1.0-1.6). The DES dose and gestational timing did not influence infertility or the number of pregnancies or live births fathered, but results were inconsistent for dose effects on the likelihood of never fathering a pregnancy or a live birth.
Prenatal DES exposure may be associated with a slightly increased risk of having an infertility experience, but does not increase the likelihood of never fathering a pregnancy or a live birth, or the number of pregnancies or live births fathered.
- Reproductive Outcomes in Men with prenatal Exposure to DiEthylStilbestrol, NCBI, Dr R Hoover, PMID:16359959, Dec 2005.
- Full text on Fertility and Sterility, S0015-0282(05)02956-0, February 16, 2005.
More about Dr Robert Hoover
- The DES Story, Lessons Learned
- After DES #DiEthylStilbestrol : tracking the Harms of a Prenatal Drug Exposure
More DES DiEthylStilbestrol Resources
- DES studies on cancers and screening.
- DES studies on epigenetics and transgenerational effects.
- DES studies on fertility and pregnancy.
- DES studies on gender identity and psychological health.
- DES studies on in-utero exposure to DES and side-effects.
- DES studies on the genital tract.
- Papers on DES lawsuits.
- DES videos and posts tagged DES, the DES-exposed, DES victims.
2 thoughts on “Reproductive Outcomes in Men with prenatal Exposure to DiEthylStilbestrol”
Reblogged this on Laitom's Blog.