The Urban School Food Alliance (The Alliance), a coalition of the largest school districts in the United States that includes New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Miami-Dade, Dallas and Orlando, announced today an antibiotic-free standard for companies to follow when supplying chicken products to its schools. The Alliance is taking action to protect the future of their students.
Working with suppliers, non-profit partners and government agencies, the Alliance has committed to the following standard:
The Alliance will require that all chicken products must be produced under a USDA Process Verified Program that includes compliance with the following:
- No animal by-products in the feed
- Raised on an all-vegetarian diet
- Humanely raised as outlined in the National Chicken Council Animal Welfare Guidelines
- No antibiotics ever
Sources and more information
- Nation’s Largest School Districts to Procure Antibiotic-Free Chicken, nrdc, media 2014/141209b, December 9, 2014.
- Support For Antibiotic Stewardship in Poultry Production,
nrdc, December 2013.
- Major US Cities Not “Chickening” Out on Good School Food, switchboard, December 9, 2014.
- Looking for Good Food in LA? Head to the School Cafeteria!, switchboard, December 9, 2014.
- Dominoes falling: A year-in-review in the consumer movement for antibiotic-free meat, switchboard, December 9, 2014.