Nearly two-thirds of the bread you eat contains pesticides residues
A report released today by PAN UK in conjunction with the Organic. Naturally Different campaign, reveals that:
- Nearly two-thirds (61.5%) of bread products tested by the UK Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs between 2000 and 2013, were contaminated with pesticides residues.
- Figure has more than doubled over the last 12 years, rising from 28% in 2001 to 63% in 2013.
- 17% of the samples contained traces of more than one pesticide.
- Glyphosate – a herbicide that is increasingly linked to a variety of health issues – is the residue most often found in bread.
Sources and More Information:
- Pesticides in Your Daily Bread: A consumer guide to pesticides in bread 2014, PAN UK, guide final, 17 July 2014
- Nearly two-thirds of the bread you eat contains pesticides residues, PAN UK, news, 17 July 2014
- What chemicals are lurking in your loaf? Nearly two thirds of bread products found to contain pesticide residues, DailyMail, news/article-2695224, 17 July 2014